The Center For Digital Engagement and Ann Arbor SPARK Internship Program

Before this internship, I did not feel ready to step into the workforce with complete and utter confidence in myself.

I recently graduated from college Magna Cum Laude with a bachelor’s degree in public relations, meaning I always did my homework, projects, and presentations and did them well. In order to graduate I also had to participate in an internship for 18 hours a week during one semester. I was highly involved with the Public Relations Student Society of America and attended several networking events and learning opportunities outside of the classroom. Along with my experience in public relations, I had a part time job at the local campus dining facilities my first year of college and a part time job working as an office manager for a small business. I have had a lot of experience, more than most of my classmates, yet when I graduated, I still didn’t feel ready for the workforce.

Public relations is an extremely broad degree and there are plenty of jobs one can obtain with it. I did not know which area I wanted to go in. Which I think led me into some of the uncertainty I felt when looking for a job. I still didn’t think I was ready for the “real world” and struggled believing that I had what it takes to have a job in public relations.


After graduation, I applied for an internship with the Center for Digital Engagement and gained even more experience in digital marketing and content creation which led me to another internship that i’ve been completing at the same time. While I know now that I could’ve done anything before these internships, I think they have helped me build confidence in myself and my ability and without them I think I would be struggling in the real world because I wouldn’t have had that extra confidence in myself.

This internship has given me the confidence, extra skills, and experience that I needed to be comfortable in a digital marketing, event planning or public relations job. The unique landscape of start-up organizations is something I think everyone should experience because it is such a different environment. I am forever grateful for the Digital Student Clinic and I would highly recommend it to anyone who may be looking for a lot of extra experience in a somewhat short amount of time!

Comments

Popular Posts